Library Assistant (casual/on-call)
If you are outgoing, flexible, self-directed, and have an interest community engagement join us at High River Library. Library assistants provide customer service and delivery of daily circulation services. They are the public face of the library.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Using the library’s ILS (holds, checking in, checking out, new registrations, interlibrary loans), website, room reservation and other software.
- Providing excellent customer service including, but not limited to:
- Answering patron questions.
- Helping patrons select and acquire library materials.
- Resolving patron complaints
- Providing instruction about library services and procedures.
- Registering patrons for programs.
- Assisting patrons with personal digital devices, self check, and public access computers. Performing basic maintenance and troubleshooting with equipment as required.
- Answering the phone and directing calls.
- Handling cash and point of sale transactions.
- Maintaining knowledge of library policies, procedures and services.
- Learning about collection including books, objects, accessible formats, and eResources.
- Participating in shelving, shelf reading and weeding.
- Making suggestions for new materials.
- Maintaining positive working relationship with library staff, volunteers, and members of the public.
- Promoting a safe workplace.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Variable periods of sitting, standing, walking.
- Ability to reach, crouch, kneel.
- Lifting or moving objects up to 30 pounds.
- Exposure to dust/dirt.
- A minimum of Grade 12 completion.
- Canadian citizen or able to work in Canada.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Ability to pass a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector screening.
- Strong commitment to public service; open, pragmatic and responsive to patrons and community.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Proficiency with computers and technology, including email, Microsoft Office and Google services, internet and social media.
High River Library is an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.
Apply by June 14, 2022 with a résumé and cover letter.
High River Library
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.