1000 Books Before Kindergarten
High River Library is proud to support the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program developed by the 1,000 Books Foundation. We believe that learning to read begins at birth and that parents and caregivers are a child’s first and best teacher. This FREE program encourages reading with your child to develop vocabulary and comprehension, nurture a love of reading, and ensure that your child enters kindergarten ready to learn to read.
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, or toddler. The goal is to have read 1,000 books before your little one starts kindergarten. Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years! If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think.
Let us help make your reading journey exciting for your child! The key is perseverance. When your child reaches a milestone, stop in at the High River Library and we’ll provide a small reward! To keep track of your child’s reading join High River Library on Beanstack (available for iOS or Android) or ask us for a paper log.
How to Participate
- Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create lifelong memories for both of you.
- Keep track of the books that you read with your child. You can do this on the Beanstack app or in our paper log.
- Keep a record of “any” book that is being read to your child. That includes reading with teachers, siblings, or anyone else!
Apps to download
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten for iOS or Android
- 1000 Books Names Words for iOS or Android
- 1000 Books Numbers Shapes for iOS or Android
- 1000 Books ABC Writing for iOS or Android